Monday, July 25, 2011

How to sum it all up. . . . . .

Well, it’s all over except for the flight home from Jersey.  Last night we met together for a very nice dinner and an opportunity to say goodbye.  Some groups did little songs and skits.  They were very creative and very funny.

I took the opportunity to tell Elaine how I saw my being given her family stories a “trust,” and how I would tell those stories to my students.  She gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek.  I told her to hug her mother for me – I really feel like I know her through Elaine’s stories.
Elaine and Steve


Others also spoke and we all hugged, and said our good-byes.  It was a good, but somewhat difficult evening.  We’ve spent a lot of time together over the last three weeks and we have been through some seriously intense stuff.  It will be strange to be without the “crew” for a while.
The "5 Horsemen of the Apocalypse" as I called them - the young crew.  Lots of fun, and a little bit rowdy.  :)


I have a couple of jobs now.  First, to further process what I’ve learned and seen.  I need to have some time in order to make sense of all of this so I can incorporate it into my classes.  

Second, to create talks, presentations, etc. in order to deliver what I’ve learned to others who are interested.  The biggest problem with these two tasks is that I’ve learned so much.  And, a lot of what I’ve learned is personal testimony and spiritual insights. 

One of my biggest concerns is what I will say when people ask me, “How was it?”  I don’t have a clue how to respond.  How do you sum up 3 weeks of intensive study and travel associated with the Holocaust?  It has changed me forever.  I’ll have to see if I can come up with a quick little response that will capture the basic ideas.    Good luck with that one!   J

I hope in the future to continue to travel and have these types of experiences.  If so, I’ll continue the journal and the blog.

Until then - Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment